Friday, July 10, 2009

Random Reflections on Turkey - 2

Sabbath on the Road – May 30-31

On Saturday I asked Wendy and David how they observed the Sabbath when traveling. They obviously weren’t at home of Friday evening for Shabbat meal, and they weren’t attending synagogue services. Did they say a special prayer on Sabbath? Do they do anything to mark the sacredness of the day?

They said no, and asked me the same about Sunday. We started talking about Sabbath and its meaning as a time set apart. It’s a recognition of the giftedness of life – that our life is given to us; that our work our busy-ness, our effort, though important, are not ultimate. All does not depend on us, and when we act as if it does, all those things will consume and destroy us.

We are partners with God - co-workers, co-creators. But even God rested on the seventh day, and it’s given as a gift to us – a reminder that there’s more to life than toil. To recognize this is to observe the Sabbath.

So with Sunday, I think. On the first day of the week Christians gather to worship, to tell the story of resurrection and the possibility of life. It’s part of who I am, and I miss the gathering of the community when I’m not there. But somehow on this particular Sunday it didn’t seem necessary to attend a church service. I said a prayer of blessing for the day, and when we sat to break bread together I paused silently to remember – remember the day, remember God’s blessings, and remember the people I was with.

As the folks back at church were at the Communion Table, I gave thanks, broke the bread and shared around the table I sat at with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment